Your daughter will be participating in the Run for IT program, which is a running training program for female students of all levels of athletic ability. This program focuses on the correlation between running and its positive effect on mental health.
Your daughter will be participating in this 6 week training program, where she will also be equipped with tools that allow her to better understand mental health wellness, and strategies and resources to help identify and manage mental illness.
The purpose of this program is to improve the students’ mental health, and physical fitness, with the end goal of participating in the “SHOPPERS LOVE. YOU. Run for Women”– 5k walk/run in support of local women’s mental health programs.
Did you know?
- 1 in 3 Canadians will experience a mental illness in their lifetime.
- Depression is the leading cause of illness and disability among adolescents.
- Half of all mental health illnesses in adults appear to start by age 14, but most cases are undetected and untreated.
- Mental health related suicide is the #2 cause of death among teenagers
- School administrators identify mental health related issues as a priority in their schools and they need programs to help those in need.
For these reasons and many more we feel this program will benefit all students involved and are excited your daughter has expressed interest in Run for IT.
Family and friends can show their support by participate in the “SHOPPERS LOVE. YOU. Run for Women” or donating to your daughters fundraising page. If interested in registering please visit www.runforwomen.ca.